Greetings fellow club members,
I hope you are all enjoying the gradual reopening of our world. I know we’ve all been anxiously awaiting a return to normal. Your MBMC board has been hard at work to bring club activities back on line while taking into consideration the wishes and concerns of all members. As you may have noticed we are pushing to return to a normal tournament schedule and are planning a 2020 awards banquet for a tentative May timeframe based on the current Covid trend. We are also planning to combine the annual membership meeting to be held in conjunction with the banquet. With that being said, we do welcome member feedback as we look to move forward with planning.
Now on to the fishing….
FOM: I would like to begin by congratulating Jeff Zachary for clinching the March 2021 FOM with a 4.8 pound Bocaccio Cod. Nice going Jeff!
Bay Bass tournament recap: Wanted to take a moment to once again congratulate Mario Souza for his win on last month’s Bay Bass tournament. A special thank you goes out to Mario for donating his winnings back to the club. Although never expected it was a generous act in support of our club. Thank you Mario!
The Bite: As we move through spring, the warm weather is bringing up the water temps and seems to be having an expected positive impact on the fishing.
- Bluefin moving up the line; below Ensenada 40 miles off beach.
- Party boats out of SD found schools of those 30- 50+ Pacific Bluefin Tuna over the holiday weekend – most of the fish caught were on Flatfall or Colt Sniper type jigs sent down or casts to the fish while the school was up or under the boat deeper 100 ft or so a few fish on sinker and sardines fished deep — I think high boat had 30-35 fish for the day with 2- 5 fish per stop.
- ~31° 26′ 23″ N and 117° 13′ 07″ W (Polaris Supreme)
- Cod fishing
- Rock Cod fishing has been decent when the weather permits. Occasional Lings to be found.
- Off and on at the islands with better 20+ lb grade coming in.
Upcoming Rock/Ling Cod tournament (April 24th & 25th): Grab your cod gear and come out for a weekend of fun!! This year’s MBMC Cod tournament is sure to be a great event to all those that join. Not only has the board agreed to a 100% payback of entries for all the Men’s, Women’s and Junior’s divisions, the club is also putting up a $50 Dana Landing Gift Card to sweeten the pot for each division. In addition, there is also a Lingcod jackpot that can be entered for an additional $10 side bet; also to include the same $50 Dana Landing Gift Card bonus award. See the entry and rules for details, Entry Form and Rules , also on the MBMC website and available in hard copy at Dana Landing soon, if not already. Don’t miss out on this fun for all event!
I will wrap it up at this point as I’m sure you all have boat work and tackle to rig. Hope to see you all soon!
Safe travels and tight lines,
Shane Hurt, President