It is with great pleasure to announce our first social gathering since activities were suspended due to the onset of Covid. Our Annual Awards Banquet will be held on Sunday June 27th at Bay Park Fish Co. We are very excited to return to some normalcy with the rollout of this event! The details are in the 2021 Awards Banquet Announcement. Please RSVP as indicated.
Hope to see you there!
Greetings to all MBMC club members….I hope this letter finds you all well.
As we move into the prime fishing months, it sounds like the offshore bite is really ramping up! The Bluefin Tuna bite has really taken off with fish now being caught in US waters. With reports of BFT from “the corner” on up to the “302” and even further up the line towards San Clemente island. Now is the time to get out there and enjoy this fishing while it’s hot. Yellowtail have also been reported on kelps throughout the region.
Congratulations goes out to Kent Yamada for taking the April 2021 FOM crown with a 12.6 lb Ling Cod. Kent was also the top angler for the 2021 Rock Cod tournament with a 7 lb Boccacio. Well done Kent!!!
I also wanted to let you all know the 2021 Club directories are in process and should be coming out soon.
- The Halibut / White Sea Bass Tournament has been scheduled for June 5th and 6th (Sat & Sun). Links to Tournament Rules and Entry Form, also available on the club website and at Dana Landing. As with the last tournament the board has agreed to sweeten the pot with a $50 Dana Landing Gift Card for both the adult and juniors divisions. I hope we can all get out there and enjoy some quality time on the water in support of this event! Good luck to all anglers!
- 2020 Awards Banquet / Membership Meeting: It is with great pleasure I am able to announce that the board has agreed to move forward with our first social gathering since activities were suspended with the onset of Covid. We are currently looking to hold the banquet on Sunday June 27th at Bay Park Fish Co. with more details coming soon. We are very excited to return to some normalcy with the rollout of this event!
I wanted to take a moment to thank Paul Himmelberger for stepping up to help the club file it’s 2020 taxes. Huge help Paul! The club is still lacking an official “Treasurer” and may have to hire someone to carry the duties unless a member is able to volunteer for the role.
I’d also like to thank Larry Oberti for his time and effort in managing the club’s website along with other similar duties. Larry’s assistance is much appreciated.
Wishing you all good health, prosperity and tight lines,
Greetings MBMC Members,
Apologies for the delay but I wanted to take a moment to provide a wrap up of our recent Rock Cod Tournament and acknowledge our winner(s).
Sadly enough we only ended up with two boats entered with a third having to drop out just prior to the tournament with mechanical issues. We would like to extend our appreciation to the Encounter and the High Count for giving us some club members to cheer on.
Congratulations goes out to Ken Yasuda’s Encounter for taking high boat honors with the only fish weighed to my knowledge. This earns the Encounter 4 points towards the annual tournament high boat award.
– Top angler, earning 4 points, is awarded to Kent Yamada for his 7 lb Bocaccio rock fish. Congrats on taking home the prize money and $50 bonus gift card for winning the men’s division.
– 2nd high angler, earning 3 points, is awarded to Jim Kelley for his 6.2 lb Bocaccio rock fish.
– 3rd high angler, earning 2 points, is awarded to Kevin Yamamoto for his 5 lb Bocaccio rock fish.
….a job well done to all our anglers that weighed fish as well as to those that participated in the tournament!
Apparently there were no Ling Cod caught for the jackpot division so that money has been returned to the entrants. With no winners in the women’s, junior’s and Ling Cod jackpot divisions, the three additional $50 bonus gift cards supplied by the club to boost the winners purse will be rolled over to future tournaments.
The board will be meeting next week to discuss and plan upcoming events which will be conveyed in a soon to follow president’s letter. I sincerely hope with the improving weather and fishing conditions we can build participation in the club activities so we can all share in the fun.
Wishing you all good health and tight lines,
Its codding time! This year’s MBMC Rock Cod Tournament is April 24-25, 2012 (this coming weekend). It’s sure to be a great event for all who participate. Not only has the board agreed to a 100% payback of entries for all the Men’s, Women’s and Junior’s divisions, MBMC is also putting up a $50 Dana Landing Gift Card to sweeten the pot for winner of each division. Lingcod are a separate jackpot that can be entered for an additional $10 side bet, which also includes a $50 Dana Landing Gift Card bonus award to the winner. See the entry and rules for details, Entry Form and Rules , also on the MBMC website and available in hard copy at Dana Landing. Don’t miss out on this fun for all event!
Greetings fellow club members,
I hope you are all enjoying the gradual reopening of our world. I know we’ve all been anxiously awaiting a return to normal. Your MBMC board has been hard at work to bring club activities back on line while taking into consideration the wishes and concerns of all members. As you may have noticed we are pushing to return to a normal tournament schedule and are planning a 2020 awards banquet for a tentative May timeframe based on the current Covid trend. We are also planning to combine the annual membership meeting to be held in conjunction with the banquet. With that being said, we do welcome member feedback as we look to move forward with planning.
Now on to the fishing….
FOM: I would like to begin by congratulating Jeff Zachary for clinching the March 2021 FOM with a 4.8 pound Bocaccio Cod. Nice going Jeff!
Bay Bass tournament recap: Wanted to take a moment to once again congratulate Mario Souza for his win on last month’s Bay Bass tournament. A special thank you goes out to Mario for donating his winnings back to the club. Although never expected it was a generous act in support of our club. Thank you Mario!
The Bite: As we move through spring, the warm weather is bringing up the water temps and seems to be having an expected positive impact on the fishing.
- Bluefin moving up the line; below Ensenada 40 miles off beach.
- Party boats out of SD found schools of those 30- 50+ Pacific Bluefin Tuna over the holiday weekend – most of the fish caught were on Flatfall or Colt Sniper type jigs sent down or casts to the fish while the school was up or under the boat deeper 100 ft or so a few fish on sinker and sardines fished deep — I think high boat had 30-35 fish for the day with 2- 5 fish per stop.
- ~31° 26′ 23″ N and 117° 13′ 07″ W (Polaris Supreme)
- Cod fishing
- Rock Cod fishing has been decent when the weather permits. Occasional Lings to be found.
- Off and on at the islands with better 20+ lb grade coming in.
Upcoming Rock/Ling Cod tournament (April 24th & 25th): Grab your cod gear and come out for a weekend of fun!! This year’s MBMC Cod tournament is sure to be a great event to all those that join. Not only has the board agreed to a 100% payback of entries for all the Men’s, Women’s and Junior’s divisions, the club is also putting up a $50 Dana Landing Gift Card to sweeten the pot for each division. In addition, there is also a Lingcod jackpot that can be entered for an additional $10 side bet; also to include the same $50 Dana Landing Gift Card bonus award. See the entry and rules for details, Entry Form and Rules , also on the MBMC website and available in hard copy at Dana Landing soon, if not already. Don’t miss out on this fun for all event!
I will wrap it up at this point as I’m sure you all have boat work and tackle to rig. Hope to see you all soon!
Safe travels and tight lines,
Shane Hurt, President